Why book a golf break to Portugal?
When it comes to a golf break in Europe it doesn’t come much better than Portugal. Golf holidays in the Algarve offers sun, sand, and calming waves for the perfect escape, with Brits travelling over every summer in their thousands. The attractions of a Portuguese golf break include:
- Luxury golf resorts
- Stunning sun-soaked golf courses
- Fantastic beaches
- A unique and exciting culture
- Historical cities, landscapes and monuments
- Mild winters and long, hot summers
The best golf resorts in Portugal
The two most popular golfing destinations in Portugal are the Algarve and Lisbon, each of which attract golfers from all over the world and are home to some beautiful resorts. Our top recommended golf resorts for this stunning destination include:
The top golf courses in Portugal
Golf courses in Portugal are famous for stunning backdrops and immaculate fairways with outstanding accommodation on-site. Here’s our top three favourite Portuguese courses for you to discover:
- Oitavos Dunes, near Lisbon – This is regarded as the second-best golf course in mainland Europe. Set against the stunning backdrop of the Sintra mountains, it has generous fairways and tight greens.
- The Sir Hentry Cotton Championship course, Algarve – Suitable for all budgets, this championship standard 18-hole course at the Penina Hotel & Golf Resort was the first one to be developed in the Algarve, in 1966. It is known by many as the traditional home of golf in Portugal.
- Monte Rei, Algarve – A Jack Nicklaus signature course, the Monte Rei offers golfers a breath-taking championship standard 18-hole course sandwiched between the Serra do Caldeirao mountains and the Atlantic Ocean.
Other attractions to experience in Portugal
It’s not just the golf in Portugal that will exceed your expectations. The country also offers some incredible natural and man-made attractions to discover, which will make your golf trip even more memorable. Must see attractions to take in after a morning round or two include:
- Lagos Zoo – A renowned nature park that also features a swimming area.
- Benagil and Zorreira Caves – Discover them by kayak, canoe or boat.
- Faro’s old town – Historical streets that provide a glimpse into Portugal’s past.
- Praia da Marinha – An iconic beach with soaring cliffs and inviting waters.
- Castle of Alvor – A former military fort, boasting traditional Manueline architecture.
- Zoomarine Algarve – A marine themed amusement park close to Albufeira.
- Serra de Monchique – The highest peak in the Algarve provides spectacular views.
- São Lourenço Church – A 17th century church with a beautiful display of iconic azulejo tile art.
- Mosteiro dos Jeronimos – A world heritage listed monastery built in Vasco da Gama’s honour.
- Praça do Comércio – The famous public square lined with excellent cafes and shops.
- Sanctuary of Christ the King – A photogenic monument and shrine overlooking the city.
- Oceanário de Lisboa – The largest indoor aquarium in Europe.
- Mercado da Ribeira – A vast indoor market, which offers a feast of the local produce.
- Casino Estoril – One of the biggest and best casinos in the whole of Europe.
- Pink Street – Home to the liveliest of Lisbon’s fantastic nightlife.
Types of golf holidays to book for this destination
Portugal is a maximum three-hour flight time from UK airports. It’s therefore a suitable destination for shorter breaks and longer holidays alike. We can put together the perfect Portugal golf package for you, which could include:
- An all-inclusive holiday – Ideal for bigger groups so all the accommodation, course fees and dining costs can be settled before you travel.
- A luxury golf break – The best choice for golfers looking for an unrivalled, five-star experience for your next golf holiday.
- Unlimited golf holidays – For those who want to spend as long as possible on the fairway, enjoying unlimited rounds on incredible courses.
- A pound proof deal – The perfect golf break for those on a tighter budget or for groups of golfers looking for a weekend getaway.
Why not read some of our reviews and see what our clients think?
Had a great time in Setubal, Portugal, playing golf. Great company to deal with, and always on hand to help. Couldn’t recommend them enough. If you want a great golf trip at reasonable prices, don’t hesitate to use them.
During these awkward times, Glencor Golf have been very very helpful and reorganised dates etc and in the end even the location. The team have always responded very quickly and answered every concern etc. We have now booked with them again for next and hopefully this time we’ll actually make it to Portugal.
If you’re looking to experience golf in Portugal, contact our team today on 01904 406550 and book your next Portuguese golf break.