Golf holidays are often thought of as being a luxury, reserved for the wealthy and those with deep pockets. This could not be further from the truth. With a bit of clever planning and research – as well as taking advantage of our expert advice – it’s possible to enjoy a cheap golf holiday without breaking the bank.
The key to booking an affordable golf holiday is to be flexible – whether that’s with travel dates, destination, or accommodation. After that, apply our top money-saving tips to make the most of your budget.
How To Save Money On Your Golf Holiday
One of the most significant expenses when planning a golf holiday is usually the cost of the green fees. These can vary greatly depending on the course and the time of year. By being flexible with your travel dates, and choosing to play during the shoulder seasons or off-peak times, you can often save a significant amount of money on green fees and bag yourself a cheap golf deal.
Many golf courses actually offer discounts to players who book in advance or play during the week, while group discounts such as ‘1 in 8 play free’ are also common.
Another way to save money on a golf holiday is to consider alternative and more affordable golf break destinations. Many people automatically think of Vilamoura in Portugal, Belek in Turkey, and Spain’s Costa Del Sol when planning a golf holiday. But there are many other regions of Spain and Portugal – as well as countries such as Morocco – with fantastic golf courses that are more affordable and considered up-and-coming.
For example, regions in Spain like Murcia and Costa De La Luz, and Eastern Algarve in Portugal offer excellent affordable golfing opportunities that are a fraction of the cost of more popular destinations, while often offering a more traditional and culturally-rich experience.
When it comes to affordable golf accommodation, you can save money by being open to different options. Rather than booking a 5-star hotel, consider booking apartment accommodation with multiple bedrooms and a kitchenette.
Single occupancy rooms can be great, but consider splitting the cost by opting for twin rooms if you are opting for a hotel. In fact, you can take this further and enquire about triple rooms so room costs are split three ways instead of two.
We also recommend booking your golf break early so you take advantage of any sort of ‘Early Booking Discounts’ that some resorts offer. Remember, golf travel is different to booking typical summer holidays as there is no real discounting for last-minute deals. It’s also worth noting that tee times are booked on a first come, first serve basis so group leaders of golf societies take note – the earlier the better for making a booking.
Also consider the board basis for your affordable golf break. If you’re playing golf during the day, you won’t need lunch at the hotel, so ‘semi-all-inclusive’ could be the ideal choice for golfers in your group. Here you get breakfast, an evening meal, and an open bar in the evening.
Cheap Golf Breaks In Spain
Spain is the perfect destination for those looking for great value golf holiday deals, offering a range of options for golfers of all levels and budgets.
Some of our favourite picks include a cheap stay and play golf break without compromising on quality at the luxurious 5-star DoubleTree by Hilton La Torre Golf & Spa Resort in Murcia. With a stunning golf course on-site, swimming pool, spa and gym as well as being decorated in DoubleTree by Hilton’s signature interior design so you can be sure of its prestige.
Other options Glencor really likes are The Residences at Islantilla, Guadalmina Hotel Spa And Golf Resort, and Melia Villaitana Golf Resort, which are just a few examples of the many excellent cheap golf resorts available in Spain. These offer great value for money, with competitive prices, top-notch facilities, and beautiful surroundings with golf on-site to save on transfer costs. Plus, if you’re arranging a trip for a large group looking for nightlife, places like Melia Villaitana on the outskirts of Benidorm are perfect.
Spain is an ideal location for a golf break as it’s home to some of the best golf courses in Europe, with a range of terrains and climates to suit all preferences. In addition to excellent golfing, Spain offers other activities and attractions, such as delicious food, picturesque towns, fantastic nightlife – should you seek it – and beautiful beaches.
Booking a cheaper golf break in Spain is a great choice, whether you are a seasoned golfer or a beginner looking to try and hone your swing.
Top 3 Spanish Regions for Cheap Golf Breaks
- Murcia – Home to lots of great value deals ranging from the stunning 5-star DoubleTree by Hilton La Torre Golf & Spa Resort, as well as Mar Menor Golf Resort, which is one of the most popular destinations for Glencor Golf clients.
- Costa De La Luz – Often overlooked as it’s best accessed by flying into Portugal’s Faro Airport. But travel just 45 minutes east and a hop over the Spanish border to find some outstanding golf resorts offering everything from self-catering apartments overlooking the golf course to all-inclusive deals that suits groups and avoids having to run a drinks kitty and dine out in restaurants every night.
- Costa Blanca – Whether you want to be close to the nightlife in Benidorm or fancy relaxing on a secluded golf resort, this region has it all and is easily accessible by Alicante Airport.
Cheap Golf Breaks In Portugal
Portugal is a great location for an affordable golf break as it’s home to a wide range of golf resorts that offer excellent value for money such as Salgados Dunas Suites, Boavista Golf Resort and Pestana Golf Resort.
Salgados Dunas Suites offers tennis courts, an outdoor pool and direct access to the Salgados course, plus a free golf shuttle service to Morgado and Alamos, which are just 35 minutes away.
Boavista Golf Resort, located in the Western Algarve, offers a range of accommodation options including apartments, which can be shared to bring costs down further, and a challenging 18-hole golf course on-site so golf transfers aren’t required. Pestana Golf Resort, located in the Algarve, features a challenging 18-hole golf course and a variety of accommodation options, including apartments and villas. Each of these resorts offers golf packages that include green fees, accommodation, and sometimes even evening meals, which can be a great way to save money while still enjoying all the amenities of the resort.
In addition to these resorts, Portugal has many other affordable golf holiday options, including further North in Lisbon such as Montado Hotel And Golf Resort. Plus, with its great weather, beautiful scenery, and fantastic food, Portugal and both Lisbon and the Algarve are an all-around great holiday destinations that shouldn’t be missed.
Check out all of our favourite deals for cheap golf in Portugal.
Top 3 Portuguese Regions for Cheap Golf Breaks
- Albufeira – Popular with Brits for a beach holiday, this region is also fantastic for golf too. Close to Faro Airport and popular for groups looking to make the most of the best nightlife in the Algarve.
- Eastern Algarve – Often unknown by golfers as they typically stay further West and the other side of Faro Airport, we can point you in the right direction to make the most of the fabulous courses closer to the Spanish border and some of the coastal towns which offer a more traditional feel than the likes of Albufeira and Vilamoura. We have cheap golf break deals in Monte Gordo at The Prime Energize and also the beautiful town of Tavira with 4-star Vila Gale Tavira which places you in more budget friendly towns that aren’t as busy with tourists.
- Lagos – Fancy strolling around a Marina in the evening, surrounded by bars and restaurants but want to avoid Vilamoura pricing? Then this hidden gem is worth considering, especially this deal at Marina Club Lagos which offers great pricing but doesn’t compromise on quality.
Browse Our Affordable Golf Deals
Overall, a golf holiday doesn’t have to be an expensive affair. With a bit of flexibility and planning, you can enjoy all the fun and beauty of a cheap golf break without spending a fortune. So don’t let the cost deter you from experiencing all that golf holiday has to offer.
We have profiled Spain and Portugal in detail but as mentioned, Morocco is a great alternative to Turkey with a similar climate and all-inclusive options but cheaper green fees.
Whether it’s Spain, Portugal, Morocco or somewhere else, we’ve rounded up all of our best cheap golf holiday offers to save you time searching.
About Glencor Golf
When it comes to organising your next golfing trip, we would be delighted to share with you our vast experience of how to squeeze every last ounce of value from all of the deals on offer and pass on those tips we’ve managed to acquire from over twenty years of experience arranging cheap golf breaks for our clients.