COSTA DEL SOL VOTED GOLF DESTINATION OF THE YEAR IN EUROPE FOR 2019
Who Voted For The European Golf Destination Of The Year?
The Costa Del Sol has been voted European Golf destination of the year by the members of International Association Of Golf Tour Operators (IAGTO). IAGTO is the trade body that represents Golf Tour Operators and there are nearly 700 members worldwide who were asked to vote on what they considered to be the best performing Golf Resorts and destinations throughout Europe.
Why was it chosen:
it has over 300 days of sunshine. Whilst not as warm in the winter months as the Tenerife or Gran Canaria, it should be considerably better then being in the UK in the middle of winter and hopefully, it will be short sleeved golf.
Even in the Summer, it is not too hot to play if you choose your tee times carefully.
There are flights from virtually every Airport in the UK at very reasonable prices so there is no excuse for staying in the UK and wearing copious amounts of clothing and ploughing through muddy fairways when sunshine is available a couple of hours away.
Malaga Airport is one of the most modern in Europe has opened a new terminal building a few years ago and it has excellent connections by road and rail to all parts of the Costa Del Sol.
The Golf Courses
Perhaps the most important attribute of a golf holiday in the Costa Del Sol is the variety and quality of the golf courses. Amongst the nearly one hundred available you are sure to find something to suit your tastes and pocket. At the very top of the tree are the courses around Sotogrande such as Valderrama which in our opinion is still the number one course in Europe.
They are expensive but provide a chance to walk in the footsteps of the worlds best golfers and are an unforgettable experience. There are many very good courses at more competitive prices starting from around £40 a round depending on the season throughout the Region. Many of the courses offer a very different experience to golf in the UK with courses designed by some of the world’s leading golf architects.
Food, Drink & Entertainment
There is more to the Costa Del Sol then paella and chips and some of Europe’s best restaurants are spread throughout the area. With an abundance of seafood on tap, it’s a special area for gastronomy and there are wines from all parts of Spain available.
There are more than enough Resorts to satisfy most tastes looking for entertainment in the evenings. From the sophisticated atmosphere of Malaga town to the more well-known Resorts further along the coast offering a more relaxed and possibly livelier night out there is something to suit all tastes and pockets.
Facts About Golf In The Costa Del Sol
- Real Club Valderrama hosted the 1997 Ryder Cup which was won by the European team with a margin of 14½ to 13½
- There are over 70 golf courses in the Costa Del Sol, with Marbella region having the highest concentration at 21
- Parador De Malaga Golf is the oldest golf course in the region, having first opened in 1929! It’s also the closest to Malaga Airport making it the ideal course for a round on your departure day if you have a late flight back.
Tips For Organising A Golf Holiday To The Costa Del Sol
- Most courses include a shared buggy with your green fee so this is the ideal destination for those who need some assistance getting around the course or looking for value for money
- Golf balls can be purchased outside on the roads leading up to the courses and offer great value!
- All inclusive is fast becoming popular with golfers but this can still be achieved in the Costa Del Sol with great options at Marconfort Griego in Torremolinos or a semi-all inclusive option at Sol Marbella Estepona Atalaya Park
Previous Winners Of This European Golf Destination Of The Year Award
2018 – Costa Blanca, Spain
2017 – Andalucía, Spain
2016 – Lisboa Golf Coast, Portugal
2015 – Marrakech, Mococco